Britain is home to an amazing six species of native reptile which for a climate like ours never ceases to amaze me. Note that one can also see the Green Lizard (Lacerta viridis) on the isle of Jersey though it appears to be absent from the rest of the UK.
The general list of British reptiles is:
- The Common (or Viviparous) Lizard (Lacerta vivipara)
- The Sand Lizard (Lacerta agilis) – now very scarce
- The Slow Worm (Anguis fragilis)
- The Grass Snake (Natrix natrix)
- The Adder (or Viper) (Vipera berus)
- The Smooth Snake (Coronella austriaca) – also sadly very rarely seen these days