Most authorities agree there are six species of amphibian in the UK at present, though tiny populations of some other amphibians have been found over the years (such as the Marsh Frog). Some discussion still exists as to whether these are rare natives or introduced animals which have been released by exotic pet keepers.
The general list of British amphibians is:
– Common Frog (Rana temporaria)
– The Common Toad (Bufo bufo)
– The Natterjack Toad (Bufo calamita) – very scarce and so rarely seen
– The Common (or Smooth) Newt (Triturus vulgaris)
– The Palmate Newt (Triturus helveticus)
– The Great Crested Newt (Triturus cristatus)